The Happy Black Woman blog is now accepting guest posts! This year, I will be introducing some new voices to our readers for the first time. I’m excited to invite guest contributors to share information and inspiration with our online community of over 2,000 email subscribers, 7,000 Twitter followers, 17,000 Facebook fans and an average of 50,000 pageviews per month. Below are a few guidelines that outline the standards for guest posts and how to submit your best articles for the site. Looking forward to meeting you and reading your posts! If you have any questions before submitting your post, please email me at email@example.com.
Benefits of Guest Posting on HBW:
- As part of your guest post, you will receive an official author byline for your article with your bio and a link back to your blog or business website.
- When your post is published, it will be shared with a large, supportive community of over 2,000 email subscribers, 7,000 Twitter followers, 17,000 Facebook fans and an average of 50,000 pageviews per month.
- You may experience an increase in traffic to your blog or website, or possibly new leads to your business. For example, I know of at least three HBW readers I have mentioned on the site that have reported an increase in blog traffic or a new client as a result.
HBW Guest Post Guidelines:
- Your blog post must be original and not previously published anywhere else on the web or in print. You may, however, update or edit a post you previously published on your own site with new content for HBW readers.
- Guest bloggers should strive to meet the quality standards of HBW. The mission of the site is to encourage women to live their ideal lives with an emphasis on personal development, relationships, business and lifestyle. One of my biggest values is authenticity, therefore I prefer to publish posts on topics that have a personal story behind them. Please only submit posts about topics that you have personally experienced or learned from. (See the HBW archives for the type of content I typically publish here.)
- Your post should fit within at least one of the topic areas on HBW. The core topics on the blog are: personal development, motivation, business, career, relationships, self-care, healthy living, travel and overall lifestyle. Topics I will not publish under any circumstances: diatribes about what’s wrong with black women or posts from male relationship “experts” who want to give tips on how women can think like a man.
- Your post should be edited. Please edit your post for grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.
Examples of Articles I’m Looking for:
- The turnaround: We want the “real deal” stories about how you turned your life around in a particular area – health, finances, relationships, family, career, business, etc. Don’t spare us the ugly details. Be honest about how you made it through to a better place.
- Business inspiration and how-to: Tell us how you started your business – what mistakes you made and what’s been most successful thus far, or even the results of a product or service launch you experienced recently – the good and the bad.
- Lifestyle experiments: Reveal your experience in trying something new and how it changed your outlook on life – especially in dating, healthy living or simplifying your life.
- Travel tips and stories: Give us information about how to plan and budget for travel or share your travel stories with photos – see my travel diary series as a guide.
- Your path to happiness: Tell us about your journey to becoming a happier woman – how have you been able to increase your quality of life, confidence and self-esteem over the years?
- Proven lifestyle strategies: How have you been able to save money, live with less stuff, eat healthier, lose weight, take care of your mental health, etc – tell us what’s worked for you personally.
- Book reviews: Share your thoughts about a book you read recently that gave you a new perspective on life, love or business. It can be a fiction, non-fiction or self-help book. Be sure to mention WHY you enjoyed the book and WHAT it taught you.
- Giveaways: I’m seeking both established and up-and-coming businesses to feature on the site (preferably black women-owned) by highlighting a product and giveaway that would be of interest to HBW readers – see this handmade jewelry giveaway as an example. (For giveaways, please note that I must be able to see the product visually in your online store or sample it for myself. This is so I can attest to the quality and vouch for you to my readers.)
How to Submit Your Post
- Please email completed posts (no more than 1,000 words) either as attachments or in the body of the email to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your full name, photo and short bio with a link to your blog or website. Sorry, but I will NOT publish anonymous posts.
- Posts may be edited for clarity, flow and readability. A stock photo of my choice will be added to your post to illustrate the content and make it more appealing to the reader.
- Once your post is published and live on the site, you may cross-post an excerpt on your own site with a link back to the original post here on HBW.
- If you have any questions before submitting your post, please email me at email@example.com.
Disclaimer: I understand that it takes a lot of time and energy to create blog posts and I’d like to thank you in advance for your hard work. While I appreciate your submission, not all submissions will be published. Posts will be published at my discretion. If you do not hear back from me within two weeks, you can assume your post will not be published on HBW at this time. Thank you!