“Start by starting.” – Meryl Streep
It’s nice to daydream and set big goals for yourself, but for you to start seeing some real results in your life, you need to start putting some real stuff out there in the universe. And the best way to do that is to simply do one thing every single day in pursuit of your goals.
Just imagine – that’s 365 actions you’d be taking over the course of a year. With that much effort and focus, there’s no way you wouldn’t make progress on even the BIGGEST dreams you have for your life.
Here’s how to get started on this powerful path to build momentum on your journey.
Choose One Task at the Beginning of Each Day
Each day, I challenge you to pick a task that will help you move forward on a specific goal you’ve identified that you want to accomplish in your life. This task should meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Something you’ve been procrastinating on
- Something that terrifies you
- Something that inspires you
The main requirement is that the action you take must be tangible and measurable. Basically, if I were there with you looking over your shoulder, I would be able to see clearly with my own eyes that the task was completed.
Just Do It!
Commit to finishing your chosen task by the end of the day. If it’s a small part of a larger project, that’s fine! Just be sure that the piece you wanted to get done is completed by 11:59pm of that day.
Here are some examples to jog your imagination:
- You want to have better relationships with your family. Call that aunt you haven’t spoken to for three years. Buy a plane ticket to visit your brother.
- You want to go back to school. Research some programs online and call or email to request information packets from the ones you like the best.
- You want to own your own home. Sign up for a homeownership class or buy a book about how to begin the process.
- You want to be healthier. Throw out all the junk food from your cabinets. Then go grocery shopping today and only buy healthy foods. Or sign up for a gym membership.
- You want to save money. Open up a savings account. You can do that online now with most banks from your computer or phone. Then set up a recurring direct deposit from your checking account.
- You want to improve your credit. Obtain your current credit report. If you haven’t done it yet this year, you can get one for free at annualcreditreport.com.
- You want to start your own business. Complete the necessary forms and register your business name with your state. Start a blog to promote yourself.
- You want to find a romantic partner. Approach someone you like or find attractive and ask for their phone number. Or sign up for an online dating service.
The possibilities are endless! Whatever you do, make the task specific and only focus on completing one task per day. Anything more than that is extra credit :)
I know you’re busy. Everyone is busy. But no matter how busy you are, you can always do at least one thing every day to move yourself closer to living your ideal life.
Leave a comment: What’s ONE THING you can do today to start seeing positive results in your life?