At the end of 2011, I made a commitment to be more intentional about reflecting on my life and work. My core question was: how will I know if I’m making progress on the goals, dreams and opportunities I have for myself? It all started with my annual review of 2011. Since January 2012, I’ve been doing a review of each month as well.
Here, I present a brief review of the ninth month of 2012, starting with a word that captures the essence how I spent the month of September: REGROUP.
(Want to use this format for your own monthly review? Check out my guide: How to Conduct a Monthly Review.)
What I Did in September 2012
- I came back from Europe. From August 7-September 4, I took a month-long trip spanning three countries: Greece, Italy and Spain. I chronicled my travel journey and experiences through my travel diary series.
- I moved to Richmond, VA. It’s a familiar town for me because I went to undergrad here. Right now, I’m living in an extended-stay hotel (paying by the month) until I find a nice sublet in the area. Or not. I might just live in this hotel indefinitely!
- I ended my relationship with The Pianist. When I came back from Europe, I felt like a different person. And that person just wanted to be alone for a while to occupy her own space. So, we parted ways in what ended up being a mutual decision.
- As part of my Fall 2012 HBW Happy Hour Tour, I hosted my first HBW Happy Hour in New York City! About 20 lovely ladies showed up for our rooftop gathering. Check out the recap, in case you missed it: Event Recap: HBW Fall 2012 Happy Hour in NYC.
- I had one paid speaking engagement in September, which was actually a last-minute, unexpected thing. I taught a social media workshop for a learning institute in NYC. It was a great way to end the month and ease back into my work.
- I ate amazing, authentic Italian pizza in NYC. If you’re in the city, get thee to Don Antonio by Starita and order the Montanara. It’s a chewy, crusty, smoky plate of heaven. As I was eating it, I almost felt like I was back in Naples!
Goals, Accomplishments and Lessons from September 2012
- What was the biggest PERSONAL milestone I reached last month in my relationships, health, finances, education and/or lifestyle? Definitely on the lifestyle front – moving to a new city and adjusting to my new living situation. I always knew that I loved hotels, but now that I live in one, I appreciate the convenience even more. I like that everything I need is already here or nearby, a housekeeper comes in to clean the place every other week, I have cable to watch all my foodie shows, there’s a little kitchen and best of all…I get to live all by myself!
- What was the greatest PROFESSIONAL accomplishment (in my business) that took place last month? Being able to instantly connect with several colleagues in my industry here in Richmond. Already, I’ve been given some leads to potential clients to work with while I’m here. And I don’t feel as lonely as I have in other cities as a work-from-home entrepreneur!
- What was the MOST valuable lesson you learned last month? That sometimes, I just need to be alone. And that’s OK.
My Theme Word for September 2012 Was…
I chose the word REGROUP because in September, I had to navigate my feelings of coming back to the U.S. when I really wasn’t ready to come back at all. I also came back with a depleted savings account due to my trip! I’m very happy I spent my money on travel, but I had to begin the lengthy process of building my savings back up again. For me, that means managing my personal budget very closely for the next few months. I’ve been saving where I can, but it does feel like a “regrouping” to me because I’m acclimating myself to a new city and at the same time, getting my finances right side up by the end of 2012.
What I Want to Happen in October 2012
What I want to experience in October 2012 is OPPORTUNITY. I want to challenge myself to create new opportunities for my business during this last quarter of the year. I want to update my marketing plan for the next few months, connect with potential partners and work on scaling my brand to new heights through in-person and online events.
See My Previous Monthly Reviews Here:
- Connection: A Review of January 2012
- Uncertainty: A Review of February 2012
- Whole: A Review of March 2012
- Honesty: A Review of April 2012
- Clarity: A Review of May 2012
- Rediscovery: A Review of June 2012
- Surrender: A Review of July 2012
- Adventure: A Review of August 2012
What ONE word would you use to describe your experience of September 2012? What do you want to experience in October 2012?
If you choose to conduct a monthly review on your own blog, please go ahead and post the link in the comments so we can read it! You can also post your reflections on Twitter using the hashtag #themonthlyreview
Read September 2012 Monthly Reviews from HBW Readers:
- Focus: A Review of September 2012 (Quarter Life Mama)
- Faith: A Review of September 2012 (StacyAustralia)
- Emotional Transitions: My Life in September 2012 (Daree’s Insights)