At the end of 2011, I made a commitment to be more intentional about reflecting on my life and work. My core question was: how will I know if I’m making progress on the goals, dreams and opportunities I have for myself? It all started with my annual review of 2011. Since January 2012, I’ve been doing a review of each month as well.
Here, I present a brief review of the seventh month of 2012, starting with a word that captures the essence how I spent the month of July: SURRENDER.
(This month, I’m using a new format to present my monthly review, which I outlined in my previous post: How to Conduct a Monthly Review.)
What I Did in July 2012
- I finally finished putting together the new ebook version of 31 Days to Reset Your Life: A Practical Guide to Personal Transformation, complete with a new brand, dedicated website and Facebook page! It is now available on Amazon Kindle and as a PDF workbook. The big difference is that is is no longer FREE to participate. Get the goods and join us for the LIVE August 2012 edition of the 31 Days to Reset Your Life Challenge!
- I had two paid speaking engagements in July. I spoke in Indiana at a museum leaders’ conference in Indianapolis. I had fun in Indy catching up with a blogger friend of mine for dinner at Yats – they offer delicious veggie options and I loved every bit of their succotash with red beans over rice. I also presented a webinar for a policy fellowship program on the topic of “Career Mapping for Young Professionals.” It’s great when I can use technology to share what I know, without leaving my house LOL.
- I booked two new coaching clients! I worked with one woman to develop a business/blogging strategy for her new site and I helped another woman create a plan to move up in her career. I love being able to support people in achieving big goals for their lives and I’m grateful for the women I get to work with! Learn more about my coaching here.
- I finished up a six-week poetry workshop at WriterHouse here in Charlottesville. I made some new poet-friends and got renewed confidence in my own work. It was a great experience! One of the mantras I took from our class was something the instructor told us about turning painful experiences into poems: “Write your way into it. Then write your way through it.”
- I spent some good time with my family. We had 4th of July BBQ at my mom’s house – grilled salmon for me, ribs for everyone else LOL. A few days later, we all saw each other again for my sister/cousin’s joint birthday brunch in Richmond at Strawberry Street Cafe – loved their bathtub salad bar!
- I spent a lot of time with The Pianist. We’ve been dating almost two months now. Even though he lives 2 hours away in southern Virginia, he’s been driving up every weekend to enjoy lots of restaurants, movies and parks with me here in Charlottesville. There’s so much more I can say about him (and us), but I’ll have to save it for a (longer) future post. But what I noticed this month about our relationship is that it embodies exactly what I said I wanted in this area of my life back in 2011:
I wish to attract positive, open-minded men who will enrich my life, not take away from it. I want my experiences to be meaningful, romantic, light and fun. I am willing to create the internal and external environment to support my ideal relationship.
Goals, Accomplishments and Lessons from July 2012
- What was the biggest PERSONAL milestone I reached last month in my relationships, health, finances, education and/or lifestyle? Entering into an exclusive romantic relationship with The Pianist.
- What was the greatest PROFESSIONAL accomplishment (at work or in my business) that took place last month? Revising my 31 Day Reset ebook! So far, I’ve sold 50 copies on Amazon, which is just incredible to me.
- What was the MOST valuable lesson you learned last month? That you can only attract what you already are. To keep attracting positive, open-minded, non-judgmental people into my life, I have to continue to cultivate those qualities within myself.
My Theme Word for July 2012 Was…
I chose the word SURRENDER because in July, I chose to give myself up completely to two important values I have for my life right now: creativity and romance. Being able to devote my time to my book project as well as my new relationship has brought so much progress in just a month’s time.
What I Want to Happen in August 2012
What I want to experience in August 2012 is adventure. I want to feel courageous enough to see and do a number of new things on my month-long trip to Europe. I want to be able to jump way out of my comfort zone, passport and camera in hand. I want this to look like lots of interesting stories and lessons learned along the way.
See my previous monthly reviews here:
- Connection: A Review of January 2012
- Uncertainty: A Review of February 2012
- Whole: A Review of March 2012
- Honesty: A Review of April 2012
- Clarity: A Review of May 2012
- Rediscovery: A Review of June 2012
Also, in case you missed them, below are all the posts I wrote on the blog last month. Thank you, as always, for reading and sharing.
- I Don’t Own Anything
- A Love Lesson from Magnolia: We Are All Donnie Smith
- Announcing the All-New 31 Day Reset: Now Available on Amazon Kindle!
- Close the Door
- 16 Important Truths About Forgiveness
- Try Online Dating for Free This Weekend with Chemistry.com
- No One Can Make You Happy
- HBW Recommends: 2012 Get Within Yoga + Wellness Retreat in Jamaica
- The Easiest Path to Self-Employment
- Join Me August 6 for a Happy Black Woman Summer Happy Hour in DC!
- Are You Free?
- How to Plan a Monthlong Trip to Europe
What ONE word would you use to describe your experience of July 2012? What do you want to experience in August 2012?
If you choose to conduct a monthly review on your own blog, please go ahead and post the link in the comments so we can read it! I would love to hear how your year is progressing. You can also post your reflections on Twitter using the hashtag #themonthlyreview!