Who controls your life?
Pose this question to any person over the age of 21 and the answer will likely be: “Me! Of course. Silly girl.”
On the surface, that answer makes perfect sense. If you are considered an adult by society, you technically have the right to make your own decisions and therefore control your own life.
But when it comes time to actually make those specific decisions that YOU are supposed to control…well, that’s often an entirely different story. As an adult, you can do whatever your heart desires. Provided you don’t break the law and go to jail, you have unlimited freedom to move about the world in your own way.
Why, then, is it so difficult to live the life of your dreams?
For one thing, we waste a lot of time using other people as an excuse for why we can’t do what we want to do.
- I can’t take off work for a week because MY BOSS won’t let me.
- I can’t travel because MY KIDS are too young.
- I can’t save money because MY JOB doesn’t pay me enough.
- I can’t go natural because MEN will no longer find me attractive.
- I can’t date a man without a college degree because MY FRIENDS won’t think he’s good enough for me.
- I can’t quit my “good” job and start my own business because MY FAMILY will think I’m crazy.
Think about it.
Be honest about the excuses you give for NOT pursuing certain goals. You may be putting unnecessary limitations on yourself by allowing other people to hold you back from living your version of happy.
Who really controls your life? Your boss, your kids, your job, your family, your friends, men, or…you?