This year, I am being more intentional about reflecting on my life and work. How else will I know if I’m making progress on the goals, dreams and opportunities I have for myself? I loved doing my annual review of 2011 (here are the questions I used for that), so now I’ve committed to doing a review of each month of the year as well.
Here, I present a brief review of the third month of 2012, starting with a word that captures the essence how I spent the month of March: WHOLE. In last month’s review, I said I wanted to experience continued productivity and thankfully, I did! That was definitely part of the joy I felt throughout the month – the clear connection between being focused in my work and the monetary reward that came along with it.
This is some of what I did last month, personally and professionally.
- I moved from Baltimore, MD to Charlottesville, VA. (The photo in this post is from one of my last days in Baltimore, relaxing on the back porch drinking bourbon and coke.)
- I did three paid speaking engagements: two in the DC area and one in Springfield, Massachusetts. I loved my time in New England!
- I worked with a few new career coaching and business coaching clients. As with most of my coaching work, our time together was spent gaining clarity on their career and business goals, plus strategizing on how to align their actions with that vision.
- I got invited to speak in India and the Phillippines this fall! I’m crossing all my fingers and toes that either or both of these opportunities pans out. But even if they don’t, I am so, so honored that I was even asked.
- I taught my second live run of the Blogging School, my 4-week online training course to help bloggers build their brands, create great content, generate traffic and monetize their expertise. The next live run will happen later this month. Sign up here to be notified when registration opens up in the next few days!
- I attended one of my favorite annual events, the Virginia Festival of the Book. Since hearing such beautiful poetry from Nikki Giovanni and Nikki Finney as well as other authors and poets during the festival, I have been inspired to write more and better and with a full heart.
- I paid off one of my major debts! This was about $6,200 that had been looming over my head for a long while. I am feeling relieved to have that burden gone. Now, on to tackle some other money monsters
- I struggled in my relationship with my sister. If you’ve been reading here awhile, you probably know how important it has been for me to build and strengthen this particular relationship in my life. But what happened in March between us felt like we’d gone two steps forward, then four steps back. After many tears and much stress, I’ve decided to release my attachment to the outcome of our relationship. It is not something I have sole control over nor something I am solely responsible for. I am committed to being here whenever and however she wants me to be in her life, but for now it seems that she does not.
- I started dating someone new. My experience with him so far has been exactly what I put on my life map for the relationship area: meaningful, romantic, light and fun. I am feeling open and excited about what this relationship has to teach me.
Thank you, March. You were everything I needed and more.
I chose the word whole because in March, I felt at peace with all the areas of my life map, even through the rough patches. Where I had questions, I got answers. Where I needed to prioritize taking care of myself, I was able to do that. March allowed me the opportunity to be completely who I am and get paid handsomely for it, financially and emotionally. March was a good money month. March led me to a place where I feel creative and able to write and work from the heart. March was a month where I was able to live fully and love with no regrets, despite the hurt and uncertainty that can come along with that.
Hello, April. We’re already becoming fast friends.
What I want to experience in April 2012 is increased vulnerability and contribution in my work and life. I want this to look like radical self-love, fearless romance and higher levels of service in the writing, teaching and information I share with my readers, clients and students.
What ONE word would you use to describe your experience of March 2012? What do you want to experience in April 2012?
If you choose to answer this question as part of a review on your own blog, please go ahead and post the link in the comments so we can read it! I would love to hear how your year is progressing so far. As additional inspiration, here is Glamazini’s review of March 2012: Regroup.
If you want to join the April 2012 edition of the 31 Days to Reset Your Life Challenge, you may still do so here. As soon as you sign up, you will receive the first assignment in the program! Or, you can just buy the workbook, which gives you all the exercises in one place, with worksheets so you can work at your own pace.
And, in case you missed them, here are all 13 posts I wrote on the blog last month. Thank you, as always, for reading and sharing.
- Uncertainty: A Review of February 2012
- Your Version of Happy is the Only One That Matters
- How to Get Paid to Do What You Love (Video)
- How I Became a Professional Speaker: My Journey from Free to Fee (Video)
- Don’t Die Not Knowing
- Two Simple Ways to Cultivate Intuition
- How to Start a Side Hustle: My Top 10 Posts to Help You Begin Working for Yourself
- Turn Off the Lights
- Writing, Working and Paying Attention: A Day in My Life in Charlottesville
- A Definition of Faith (or What I Tell Myself When I Worry)
- Join the 31 Days to Reset Your Life Challenge: April 2012 Edition
- How to Rewrite the Story of Your Life
- Good Enough for Now