“You can do anything you want with your life and no one can stop you…but you.” – Rosetta Thurman
My name is Rosetta Thurman and I’m the Founder of Happy Black Woman, a global personal development company and lifestyle brand dedicated to educating, inspiring and empowering black women to create their ideal lives. I am deeply committed to helping black women all over the world experience happiness, success and freedom in life and business. As an author, speaker, mindset coach and business mentor, I teach black women how to achieve their big goals faster than they ever thought possible.
But my life wasn’t always like this. I wasn’t always happy. I wasn’t always successful. And I certainly wasn’t always free.
From humble beginnings…
My desire to help others was born out of humble beginnings.
I grew up in the public housing projects of Painesville, Ohio, where I was raised by a single teenage mom and a very protective grandmother.
My father committed suicide when I was 6 years old.
Due to my mom being so young and my father not being around, we didn’t have much money. We lived in public housing. We got food stamps.
We were so poor that every year, a volunteer from a local nonprofit would come and take me shopping for school clothes because my mother could not afford to.
As a child I was surrounded by this prevalent mindset of lack and scarcity and not having enough. I was taught to be grateful for what I had, even though I wanted MORE for my future.
Yet – even as a little girl, I always knew that wasn’t the way I wanted life to be. Somehow, I knew that bigger things were possible for me.
To college and a career in the nonprofit field…
I was blessed to be able to attend good schools, learn from many kind teachers and participate in after-school programs, including the Girl Scouts (I was a Brownie!).
As a result, I became the first person in my family to graduate from college.
My childhood experiences sparked a passion for social change, leading me to work in the nonprofit sector for over 10 years as a fundraising professional and leadership development practitioner.
But after more than a decade of working in nonprofit organizations, I realized that my true purpose was actually in personal development and helping others improve their lives.
To quitting my job to work for myself and travel the world…
In 2010, I quit my 9 to 5 nonprofit job in Washington, DC to work for myself as a speaker, coach and consultant.
The following year, I got rid of all my stuff, gave up my apartment in DC and began traveling the world with just a suitcase and a laptop.
I became “location-independent” which means I was able to live and work from anywhere – including my dream destinations of Hawaii, Thailand, Greece, France, Italy, Spain, Jamaica, Mexico, Argentina and Bali!
To building a successful business that helps thousands of women…
Along the way, I launched Happy Black Woman as a personal blog to document my journey to transform my life.
As I began to write about my experiences from going natural to dating to quitting my job to building my business to traveling the world, I connected with many other women who were on the same path.
Through the stories and lessons I shared, I discovered that lots of women wanted to live a similar lifestyle of happiness, success and freedom. In just a few short years, the website evolved into a supportive global community of like-minded women with big goals and beautiful dreams for their lives.
Fast forward to today and I’ve been able to go from $0 and an ugly little blog to a million-dollar business and lifestyle brand, publishing 2 books, hosting a podcast with over 500K downloads, leading dozens of events, speaking all over the country and being featured in numerous media outlets, including JET Magazine, Essence.com, Entrepreneur.com, Dr. Oz’ Good Life Magazine, BBC London and BlackEnterprise.com.
Now, I get to help thousands of black women around the world through my blog, podcast, books, courses, events, retreats and coaching programs!
And honestly, I feel like I’m just getting started.
Throughout my journey to find my purpose, manifest my vision and create the life of my dreams, here is what I’ve learned:
I can do ANYTHING I want with my life and no one can stop me…but me.
And if you’re reading this right now – so can YOU.
Connect With Rosetta
If my story and philosophy resonates with you, then I invite you join the tribe and learn more at the links below:
- Read the Blog: http://
- Listen to the Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/
us/podcast/ happy-black-woman-podcast/ id1046205131
- Watch My Youtube Videos: http://youtube.com/
- Follow Me on Instagram: http://instagram.com/
- Like Me on Facebook: http://facebook.com/happyblackwoman
Fun Facts About Rosetta:
- I was an English major in college where I studied creative nonfiction and poetry. Even today, I consider myself to be a writer first, above anything else. One of my greatest gifts is being able to use words to help people understand themselves better.
- I love to eat and I love to cook. I enjoy being creative in the kitchen and trying new recipes. I can spend hours in the grocery store!
- I love old school music. Most of the time, I prefer to listen to the Isley Brothers instead of anything that plays on the radio nowadays.
- I’m a deeply spiritual person, but I don’t belong to any particular religious denomination. I believe in God and the God that lives within all of us. I like to say that “love is my religion” because I strive to put love at the forefront of my life.
- I don’t watch TV. I have no idea what the Housewives are doing or what’s going on with Scandal right now. And I really like it that way.
- I love a good movie. My favorite kind of films are dramas that teach you something about yourself, show you a new perspective on life or inspire you to become a better person. On my top 10 list: Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Unfaithful, Up In the Air, 500 Days of Summer, Boomerang, Love Jones and Ratatouille. Yes, Ratatouille.
- I was born in Ohio, but I became a military brat at the age of 10 when my mom married a man in the Navy. We were stationed in Guam and Hawaii when I was in middle/high school. That was when I fell in love with traveling!
- I’m an extreme introvert. I enjoy being around people, but I do need a lot of time to myself to rest, reflect and recharge. Most people don’t believe that when I tell them because I’ve had a successful career as a professional speaker. But as soon I step off the stage, all I want to do is run back to my hotel room, order room service and listen to some jazz.
- I believe that I was put here on earth to touch thousands of people’s lives in a positive way. Although I have a lot of fun doing it, I take my purpose very seriously. If I died today, I’d want my legacy to be at least one person who could stand up at my funeral and say that I helped them change their life. Life is so short and I want to make a difference while I’m still alive!
Rosetta’s Official Bio
Rosetta Thurman is the Founder of Happy Black Woman, a global personal development company and lifestyle brand dedicated to educating, inspiring and empowering black women to create their ideal lives. She is committed to helping black women all over the world experience happiness, success and freedom in business and in life. As an author, speaker, mindset coach and business mentor, Rosetta teaches black women how to achieve their big goals faster than they ever thought possible. Rosetta is the author of Launch Your Business: The 5 Step Solution to Do What You Love, Quit Your Job and Have the Freedom to Travel and Live Life on Your Own Terms and the co-author of How to Become a Nonprofit Rockstar: 50 Ways to Accelerate Your Career. Rosetta currently lives in beautiful San Diego, California. When she’s not writing or speaking, you can find her on a plane traveling to the next city on her bucket list, in the kitchen cooking up a new recipe, dancing to 80s R&B music or snuggled up in her favorite chair with a good book and a glass of red wine. Her motto is: “You can do anything you want with your life and no one can stop you…but YOU!”