Some of us have accumulated so much physical stuff over the years, that our closets might resemble something from that TV show, Hoarders. Even though you may think you need every old appliance, sentimental keepsake and seldom-worn piece of clothing, the truth is that the more physical clutter you have, the harder it is to move forward into your ideal life. It might seem like no big deal to have a bunch of useless items lying around your house and piled up in your closets, but you send a powerful message to the universe with the stuff you hold onto.
Those old letters/emails from your ex-boyfriend/husband that you just can’t seem to throw away/delete? They could be keeping you from attracting a new love into your life.
That busted, tattered wallet you’ve had for the last 10 years? It could be keeping you from attracting more financial abundance into your life.
That box of random papers, records and files from your old job or business? They could be holding you back from attracting a new level of success into your life.
Your clutter from the past could be holding you back from stepping forward into a new future. (click here to tweet this quote!)
Start Getting Rid of Stuff You Don’t Need
Go through your living space over the next few days and be ruthless in getting rid of ALL the stuff you don’t use, need or want any more. Every single bit of it. Go through closets, bedrooms, shelves, storage rooms, even your home office or desk at work.
Ask yourself the following questions for each item:
Do I really need this? Do I even want it anymore?
If yes, keep it and love it. If no, kick it to the curb by throwing it away, donating it or recycling it. If you have a roommate, live-in partner, spouse or kids, you can ask them to do this exercise as well.
What kind of clutter should you get rid of?
- Clothes, shoes and accessories you don’t like or wear anymore (including all those tattered handbags, fraying belts, broken earrings and skirts that no longer fit)
- Papers and records you longer need (go paperless by scanning your important documents into your computer or use Dropbox for cloud-based file storage)
- Old magazines and newspapers that are taking up too much space (easy button: throw them all into the recycling bin)
- Pictures and cards that you never look at (just scan and digitize the ones you love the most!)
- Knick-knacks, broken or damaged appliances/electronics/furniture (take them to the dumpster, leave them on the curb or recycle)
- Anything you haven’t used or worn in six months or more (donate it to your favorite charity, local Goodwill, Salvation Army, Dress for Success, homeless shelter, church ministry, etc)
- Old letters/emails from exes (shred, delete, burn, crumple and trash, whatever you have to do)
Affirmations for clearing the clutter from your life:
These are affirmations that you can repeat as you go through the process of getting rid of stuff you don’t need. Remember that it’s OK to let go of some things as you move forward in your journey.
- I am getting rid of everything I no longer need so that I can create the space to receive everything I want.
- I am releasing my attachment to the old so I can make room for the new.
- I am making space for infinite possibility to come into my life!
It might be difficult to get started, but once you commit to removing all the old clutter from your life, you will begin to see new possibilities for your future. Give yourself permission to focus on the feeling of excitement for what’s to come, not the feeling of loss for what once was.
Leave a comment below: Is it time to clear some of the physical clutter from your life? Which items can you get rid of first?